Thursday, May 19, 2011

Make-Your-Own Decor Ball

Pretty huh?

My original plan was to make a decorative garden sphere on a stake, but this worked out too!
And everything was found at the dollar store!


What you need:
styrofoam balls (any diameter larger than 3" works best)
spray paint in any color
clear glass decor beads
hot glue gun
wire clothes hanger

First, cut some pieces of wire the length of the hanger and poke it into the ball.  Then, spray paint the ball your desired color.  I chose the green you saw here.

Second, stick the hanger into the ground so your ball can dry.  
( I didn't document these steps with pics since its pretty straight forward.)

Third, warm up the glue gun and start gluing your glass beads down starting at the wire and working your way out.
And continue until the ball is covered.

Fill in any "bald" spots with a dab of hot glue to fill it in.
(I forgot to take a pic of that part...oops)

Lastly, give it a liberal coat with a clear glaze and let dry.  I used Krylon Triple thick clear glaze.

Now, if you had a wood dowel and used that rather than hanger wire, poke that puppy into the ground and you've got a garden ornament on a stake!  

The glass beads make the ball really heavy, and sadly a hanger just won't cut it...the ball will just droop over.  :(  So I just pulled the hanger out, but I still have an awesome decor ball!

Maybe I'll just set it in a potted plant?  Hmmm... there are possibilities!


xoxo
Ginger

I'm linking at these awesome parties!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Ginger! Who doesn't like glitzy projects on the cheap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love it! I am not the mother of a boy yet, but i have one on the way! I love your blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails