Friday, August 27, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round!

So I loved my Firetruck so much that I just couldn't stop there...
I give you The School Bus!
Jack saw me making it and was so interested, so I decided to let him keep it!

So very easy, the same basic method as the Firetruck.  But I went ahead and made a tutorial with actual pics and a pattern, if needed, for the School Bus.

If you want the pattern, email me because my computer is being dumb and won't upload the pics.
What you need:
coordinating yellow fabrics
black/white fabrics for the wheels
red fabric scrap for the front
sewing machine, scissors, thread, etc.

First, cut out the pattern.  Lay it out on your main fabric (right sides together) and cut.

Make sure you have a baby toddling around your feet the entire time you sew this pillow!

Cut out a few strips of your other yellow fabric 2" wide as long as you need.  Don't make my mistake of only cutting 2 and finding I had to add a 3rd and by then, couldn't get a measurement to give you...oops.

Next, cut out all your pieces to add to the front of your school bus and lay out the design.
Then sew it all down.
I used black felt for the windows, scrap black polka for the wheels with white felt in the middle, red felt for the stop sign, and scrap red fabric for the reflecting line thingy...not sure what that's called but our buses around town have 'em.

I used a zig zag for most of the stitching cuz I love the look.

Then, sew the 2" strips together (right sides facing) to "belt " around the pillow.  Again, I ended up cutting a 3rd strip so I don't have an accurate measurement for ya.  I would say at least 26" long...then you could just cut of the access.

Then, pin the "belt" around the bus giving a little extra slack around the corners.  Then sew one side into place.
It gets a little tricky but not too bad...I found that I would manually turn the wheel around the tight areas so I didn't accidentally stitch out of place.  Then pin and sew the other side.  Leave a hole to turn inside out.


Stuff and whip stitch the hole closed.
All done!  The cutest little pillow on the block!


Jack won't put it down!

Ginger
SSB

I'm linking:

Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple
Marketing Mondays at The Trendy Treehouse
Craftastic Mondays at Sew Can Do
Tot Tuesdays at Delicious Ambiguity
Anything Related Tuesday at All Thingz Related
Messy Monday at The Pumpkin Patch 
Show Off Your Stuff at Fireflies and Jellybeans
We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado
Hoo's Got Talent at Night Owl Crafting
Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design



1 comment:

  1. I love it, Ginger. The polka dot fabric for the wheels is adorable and the added detail of the stop sign is great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails